Call Me By Your Name Filmmaker Luca Guadagnino Wants to Make a Sequel with Timothée Chalamet

Photo: EW

Call me by your name, but don’t refer to it as a sequel. 

Call Me By Your Name (2017) director Luca Guadagnino, who worked with Timothée Chalamet, desires a follow-up to the Oscar-winning movie – but don’t call it a sequel. 

“A sequel is an American concept,” the director said in an interview with IndieWire at the Telluride Film Festival. “It’s more like the chronicles of Elio, the chronicles of this young boy becoming a man. It is something I want to do.” 

The original movie chronicled Elio (Chalamet), an Italian teen in the 1980s who encounters a summer of heady romance with his father’s research assistant, Oliver (portrayed by Armie Hammer, whose career collapsed after sexual assault allegations). 

The romantic drama received critical acclaim and awards, bagging an Oscar for James Ivory’s adapted screenplay. Furthermore, it was nominated for three other Academy Awards, which include Best Picture and Best Actor for Chalamet. 

Guadagnino has since hinted about his interest in creating another movie after Chalamet’s character if it all works out. 

“The truth of the matter is, my heart is still there, but I’m working on this movie [Bones and All] now, and I’m hopefully going to do Scarface soon, and I have many projects and so will focus on this side of the Atlantic and the movies I want to make,” the filmmaker said in an interview with Deadline last year. 

Read also: The Conners Exec Showrunner Unveils How D.J. Will Be Taken Off

Guadagnino Hinted on Sequel with Chalamet

Before that, Guadagnino told an Italian publication called Gay. It! that he plans to collaborate with a writer he loves “very much” about making a sequel following Ivory’s statement that he won’t return. 

However, the pandemic happened, and like the rest of us, he could not travel. 

Luckily, Guadagnino and Chalamet reunited in Bones and All, a film about a budding cannibal romance recently launched at the Venice Film Festival in Italy, where it had been given a massive nod. 

Guadagnino revealed to IndieWire that he had always considered Chalamet for a future team-up. 

“It’s not as if I left Timothée at the height of his booming success, and then I found him four years later,” Guadagnino said. “We kept close. I knew that there was not much time to wait until we worked together, but only for the right project.” 

Bones and All premieres on November 23.

Read also: Don’t Worry Darling Press Con in Venice Stops Shia LaBeouf Question

Posted by Vanessa Roberts

Hi, I am Vanessa. I am a part-time blogger and a full-time medical practitioner. I usually focus my writings on health and wellness. I love nature and traveling.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.